2020/01/26

A thing a week 2020, week 4

Cedarwood is the city that keeps on giving.  This is the tactical map we were supposed to use yesterday in the final act of my Saturday campaign.  People fell ill and, well, I've now got a bunch of brisket to eat.  It's a hard life.

I could have used the neighborhood map but I felt it lost some of the nuance of the street layout.  This offers more tactical decisions which is what I wanted.  It's notable that tactical decisions is not what the map was drawn for--it was purely an artistic work motivated slightly by some critical thought on how the city might function.  We've gotten a year of gameplay out of this thing (more than 125 hours of table time) so I feel like it was a good investment.

I'd make it bigger if I were to do it again.  It's a little hard to fit the chips where you might want them and they obscure the map itself which will be a pain when we actually start playing.  This is basically a giant image printed out on my trusty color printer and mounted on medium weight chipboard.  Each page is 7.5"x7.5" which is a half inch smaller than I wanted but I mathed wrong and did the page setup incorrectly before printing.  Mounting was done with gluesticks because I didn't need more than that. 

The unit chips were glued in 1" strips and cut out with scissors.  I spaced them out by about 1/16" of an inch so there'd be space to cut.  I would have preferred a little bit more.  Also, since it's hard to see in the picture, the actual unit stats are in purple.  This makes the stats much easier to read on the black structure.  I learned this when writing out the stat cards I usually use at the table.

No comments: