2021/05/16

A Pirate's Life part 3 (2021 week 20)

As threatened last week, we have the five guys of the red squad from Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago crewmen. As this is a theme that I'm stretching out because I've got a lot of other crap going on, I'm also having to parcel out my shoddy commentary. Good, bad, or ugly, that's what we got.

One thing you might notice is their lousy bases. I had grand plans of doing a fun sandy texture putting down multiple kinds of grit. Well, that went poorly. Eventually I switched over to using Vallejo Texture Paste which conveniently holds much better than the PVA glue I'd normally use. This makes the two types stand out in fairly stark contrast. I'd hoped that the primer would hold more of the PVAed grit down (yeah, I verbed that) but this wasn't the case.

The painting of said bases is similarly lousy. I mostly hit them with Vallejo Model Air Sand which is the same color on most of their shirts. This was highlighted slightly in a damp-brushy kind of way and some of them have some tinting with green in the shadows. This didn't work but my excuse was that they're supposed to be a speed paint. Someday I will revisit sandy bases because, well, these suck. I don't expect them to get a ton of screen time either way but I also don't expect to repaint them.

2021 finished mini counter: 123/100

No comments: