2021/05/23

A Pirate's Life part 4 (2021 week 21)

We finish up this theme with the five doods from the purple squad from Frostgrave Ghost Archipelago. Now that they're done, I rather wish I was more careful with them. They are good sculpts and probably deserved more time than I spent on them inasmuch as any mini deserves anything. 

Purple is a lousy color to highlight. White in it gets real extra grainy which I can say from experience. These are Daler Rowney Purple Lake ink lightened with a light skin tone. Vince's hint was that a sunny skin tone could be used as a universal highlight and that's proving to be true in my experience. He also said that Purple Lake was a great color and he's right on that one, too. 

Overall, I think the group came out OK which is better than the time I'd originally allotted to them. I do wish I'd kept better records but my gut tells me that the whole group of 20 guys are maybe 30 hours including assembly. I did learn quite a lot about painting with inks on these and not relying quite so heavily on washes so I think that even though they're not well painted, it was worth the effort.

2021 finished mini counter: 128/100

No comments: