2023/04/09

A thing a week 2023, week 15

This week we have tiles...lots of tiles (not all shown). These are from Dungeons and Lasers kickstarters one and two from Archon Studio. I've been prepping and not painting stuff from these kickstarters for months now though the props are very well represented. I also have lots of tiles that I've built over the years so the main motivation was less to use them on the tabletop and more to reclaim shelf space in my studio. 

These are not particularly well painted. Rather than priming with the airbrush as normal, I used a 1" craft brush and was very sloppy with it. That has resulted in some bubbles in the recesses which I do not like but didn't take any corrective measures around. After that I did a very rough basecoat with the airbrush which took a really long time because there are dozens of these things. After that I picked out some details like grates, the light Celtic knotwork and red star and then the magic started.

Every time I use oil washes I'm amazed at how good the results are. These posed a different challenge since a) they're flat, and b) they're large. I let the wash sit for a day so it'd cure enough that it wouldn't pull out of the deep recesses. I re-used some paper towel that was last seen wrapping Lego builds and burned through a lot more of my thinner than I would have liked but overall the entire process wasn't too difficult. 

No minis this week, maybe next week, so no updated counter.




No comments: