2023/10/08

A thing a week 2023, week 41

This week we get "stuff on fire" as a mini-theme. These are mostly technique but my normal approach broke down on some of these. 

First up we have these Fire Bats from the Temple of Elemental Evil board game. I had no idea these were a thing and may have snapped them off their stands which is why they're sitting wonky. The magnet strip on the bottom isn't helping, either. Of the figs in this week's offering, these were by far the easiest because the normal drybrushing worked pretty well. I don't know when exactly I'll use these (if ever) but I'm sure I'll think of something. 


Next up we have a pair of Reaper Bones Dire Crabs. They came with my Bones 4 pledge along with the Dire Boars and Dire Crocs which have been here somewhere. And yes, I'm too lazy to look those up. I didn't paint these as a batch but not for any particularly good reason which is why they look so different. Ultimately this is better for me at my table otherwise we have to stick a colored ring on them or something. These were a pain because I'd dumbly glued them to their bases rather than pinning them and they have a lot of negative space. This is also why their bases are so blah. I've used magma crabs in my game before and will probably use them again but they don't come up all that often.

Last up we have a vintage metal Ral Partha Gorgon that I bought sometime last millennium and I don't remember why. He's gotten some screen time circa 2016 or 2017 as a boss that my players cleverly peaced out of until they could enlist the help of some Dwarven sharpshooters. The very fine texturing on this guy isn't super deep and my drybrushing efforts were largely thwarted so he sat on my painting desk in various states of not-doneness until this summer. Not sure when he might next get screen time but he'll be ready when the time comes provided his horns don't fall off again.

2023 finished mini counter: 225/104




No comments: