2019/06/23

Crafting challenge, week 12

Remember how I said I wanted to do more in a week than just a video?  Well, I failed at that this week.  I did get a video up, you can watch it here, but that's all I did.

This one was rough.  The script is long (~350 lines) and even though I think it turned out pretty well, it went through a mess of revisions.  In fact, the main thesis changed after two days of writing which certainly didn't help.  I can make excuses about other time commitments and whatnot but they're not really germane.  This video just took a bunch of time. 

Where did the time go?  Four days to research, writing, and editing weigh in at ~12 hours.  Friday I did nothing--I needed a break.  Sunday I did all the filming, editing, and wrestling with youtube.  That took ~6 hours.  That's ~18 hours for just under 13 minutes of video.  That seems like a lot, and that's despite a lot of stuff going very well like editing. 

If I'm going to keep doing this youtube thing long term I'm going to have to start being way more efficient at it.  I don't think I want to be spending my entire week making one ~10 minute video--I got way too much crap going on for that to be sustainable.  I regularly say "everything is an optimization problem" and this is no different.  I just don't know how to optimize it yet. 

No comments: