2021/10/24

Wizkids-a-rama, week 4 (week 43)

This week will round out the rest of my Nolzur's and Pathfinder normal sized figs. I've got some dragons that'll show up here at some point but for now, I can rest easier that I never have to paint another normal sized figure from these lines unless I'm a dumb and buy more. I really hope I have good reason to when I inevitably do. Also note that I'm still fiddling with my photography settings and they're still not good.

We saw Minsc in the first week of this theme. This would be his blister-mate, Moon Elf Sorcerer who I assume is someone else from Baldur's Gate. In fact, I bought them for this fig since she was holding a fireball and I really wanted to do more OSL. Clearly, I didn't do any OSL on this fig but I did spend a lot of time picking out details on her outfit even if I punted and painted her cloak black. I think this works and I like the color scheme.

These two are Pathfinder Human Female Oracles and like our Moon Elf friend, I bought them to practice OSL and then failed to follow through with that. What do you want? It's a speed painting theme! The gal with the scythe is awful. I mean, steel breastplate, bare legs, scythe and open toed sandals is all kind of fantasy hot mess. I have no idea what they were thinking. The other gal I like despite all her bejangles and other gear and I spent way too long on her. I think these work OK too.




The gal is the other half of Female Human Wizard featured in week 24 next to a repeat of Aasimar Paladin featured in the same week. She's got a definite unlimited power thing going on which I failed to do any OSL with. I don't think her Harry Potter scarf things hit. He's got super cheap & easy black wings and armor in a suitably edgelord way played by Pro Acryl Transparent Black and nothing else. These are cheap and easy paint jobs that look good for the effort expended. I.e., not much.

These two don't look OK and I had a heck of a time painting them. They're Nolzur's Female Aasimar Wizards and they look way nicer in the renders than these figs turned out in actuality. There's way too much negative space on these and the spell effect on the ground made her legs almost impossible to paint. Seriously, folks, don't make figs like these, at least not if we can't paint them in subassemblies. Those spell effects are "hey, look at me green" on purpose to draw attention to the less well done parts of those paint jobs which is generally "the rest of it." You can tell which one's wings I spent actual time on.


This guy is a Nolzur's Weretiger and he arrived with the wererat a couple weeks ago. I like that he doesn't have a million details but I really think there was a better paint scheme in there. Probably his cloak should have been grey to pop out his orangey fur and probably his armor wanted to be a less orangey brown. The freehanded stripes don't particularly work but he's fine at arm's length. I learned on this fig that tiger patterning is harder in paint than in illustration.

We saw the non-winged versions of Nolzur's Female Aasimar Paladin and Fighter in week 1 of this theme and as I recall, I rather liked those figs. I rather liked these, too, and despite being a speed paint, I put more effort into them even if it doesn't really show. The paladin gave me a great opportunity to paint a nice face so that's where the bulk of the time went despite the fact that it didn't shoot well. I especially like how her wings turned out and I think I learned that I like painting wings. I think these came out well and they'll round out the last of the theme.

So there we go, 41 figs in four weeks (three calendar weeks in actuality) for a grand total of 48 painting hours. That's right around 70 minutes a fig which is right around where I wanted to land. In truth, the same time spent on generally better/easier-to-paint figs would have probably yielded a better result, but this is what I had so this is what I did. I'm not unhappy with this effort, but in retrospect, I shouldn't have bought most of these figs.

2021 finished mini counter: 269/100

No comments: