2021/10/03

Wizkids-a-rama, week 1 (week 40)

Welcome to the next theme hot on the heels of the highly successful Elffest 2021. During that fourfive week period we averaged one fig a day which is pretty danged good in my book and some of those paint jobs weren't terrible! For this next theme we have something a little different. Rather than being a grouping of figs by culture or thereabouts (Elves, Samurai, Lizardfolk, etc.) we have a grouping of figs by manufacturer, in this case, Wizkids. My increasing displeasure of the Nolzur's D&D line and Pathfinder equivalent has been well established and I just want to get them the heck out of my pile of potential. So for the next four weeks we're burning through them as quickly as I dare hoping to keep up the same kind of speed. So here we go.

First up we have Pathfinder Deep Cuts: Human Fighter. Had I realized these figs were so large, I probably wouldn't have bought them, though I do mostly like the sculpts. The molds, however, are typically lousy. There's a trend with larger figs to pack them with doodads and bejangles and strap and whatnot which carries through to 3d models, too. These were a torturous paint and I think my lack of persistence shows but they typify the best and worst of these lines. I did paint in a 5 o'clock shadow on these guys which, with the fancy metallic weapons takes focus away from the badness.

This is Minsc. I didn't even play that game and I know who Minsc is. He came with a gal who will undoubtedly grace these unhallowed pixels in a future week but for now we just have Minsc. He's from a middle-late wave and I think there's a pretty marked improvement. He has a reasonable amount of detail--enough to look good but not enough to be a pain. He was a reasonable paint and I think he turned out OK.


These two dudes are the wingless version of Nolzur's Aasimar Paladins one of whom showed up way back in week 24 and one of whom will show up later in this theme. They're not particularly complicated but I also didn't work particularly hard on them. I'm kind of put off by the sleazy politician sculpt of their faces and they have far too many straps. Most of these guys (the brown tones in particular) are a sole coat of Pro Acryl Transparent Brown which I think looks good enough as both leather and wood to not put a ton of additional effort into. This kind of trick serves me well in these kinds of batches and we'll see it a lot. 


These two are Nolzur's Female Half Elf Monk with a staff and Pathfinder Female Half Elf Rogue with daggers and I don't like either of them. The monk is neither a good sculpt nor a good fig and if I'm honest, I bought them for the other fig in the blister which is shooting an awesome fireball--stay tuned! The rogue has a nice pose and not awful armor but there's some significant part fit issues that really ruined my enjoyment of the painting. This is sadly also common in these kinds of figs. Any time there's a factory gluing, it's suspect. These were never going to support a proper paint job so they're the best color: painted.




These two are Pathfinder Human Female Fighters and I rather like the gal with the sword despite her bendy scabbard. The gal with the bow is not glued, sculpted, or molded particularly well and that kind of ruins it for me. She also has a really significant gluing issue on her head and cloak which looks really, really wrong. As an additional badness, her cloak has the typical difficult negative space underneath which I hate so much on these figs. I spent probably too long on these and only one of them looks OK. I did speed up over the course of the theme, so there's that. 




And ending on a high note, I rather like these two gals despite being Nolzur's figs. They are the wingless versions of Female Aasimar Paladin and Female Aasimar Fighter and no, I'm not sure which is which. They have nice poses, fairly good armor, and I can buy that these gals mean business. I mean, they're not half-turned around in a spine-snapping supermodel pose, nor are they waifishly thin and yet somehow ridiculously over-endowed. So naturally, I love them! The winged version will show up in a future week and hopefully those are just as nice!

2021 finished mini counter: 239/100

No comments: