2021/10/31

A Song of Ice and Paint, week 1 (2021 week 44)

This week we're starting a new theme and like the last couple, this one is also a big batch paint. This time we're looking at A Song of Fire and Ice miniatures like those featured in Week 41 of 2020. These come in packs of 12 or 13 depending on if they have a specific captain fig or not. I rather like these figs. They're made of nice hard plastic, have an appropriate amount of details, and aren't covered in straps. So for the next five weeks we embark on Yet Another Batch Paint(TM). I do wish they were slightly smaller in scale to match other figs in my collection.

These guys are Lannister Halberdiers and if I knew anything about Game of Thrones, I'd know what that means beyond, you know, having halberds. You'll note their color scheme isn't what you might expect: uniform. That's because I don't use them for wargames. I use them for RPGs where it's way more important to be able to tell them apart than it is for them to look good in a unit. That said, when you do line them up as a unit, they do still look pretty good. I can only guess why that is. 

It's also interesting to note that even though they're not a great paint job, they still look OK. I think this is  two parts owing to their design which is sparse and well separated and one part due to color choices on my part which is high contrast and shiny. I did the trim and standards and heraldry in an off white to make them stand out rather than the yellow ochre I might have preferred. This helps hide some of the lousy blends and fairly serious lack of contrast. Also of note is that the upper parts of them are mostly metal which hides my lack of shading. Overall, I think these guys work and were completed in roughly over an hour per figure.

2021 finished mini counter: 282/100



No comments: