2021/11/07

A Song of Ice and Paint, week 2 (2021 week 45)

Like last week, we have Lannisters from A Song of Ice and Fire again. These are Lannister Guardsmen known far and wide for I guess their plumey helmets and big shields. As many soldiers as I have in my collection, I really need to have my PCs fight more wars. Apparently.

These first three offerings (next week included) were done as a huge batch and I really wanted to see how much I could do with my new and fancy (and cheap) airbrush.What I wanted: a simple basecoat that I could stick a wash over and do a minimal amount of highlights on hopefully speeding up the process. This kind of worked. I experimented with washes. The blue, green, and flesh washes are Army Painter Quickshades which I quite like. They blue-grey guys are washed in Vallejo Dark Grey Wash which can make things look dirty if you don't get your highlights right. The blue wash is Daler Rowney Blue Ink mixed with matte medium and flow improver. This worked really well so I expect it to show up more in future work.

The metallics are Vallejo Metal Color mainly Steel, Dark Aluminum, and Gold washed with Nuln Oil Gloss which is my go-to for most things. Vallejo Metal Colors are absolutely worth investing in if you have the means and use metallic paints for these kinds of projects. Even though I didn't do any shading/highlighting on these guys, these paints readily mix with any of your highly pigmented acrylics and mix especially well with Badger Ghost Tints which I like a lot.

2021 finished mini counter: 295/100




No comments: