2022/01/09

A thing a week 2022 (week 2)

The nice thing about the end of the year is overeating. A close second is having the time to do a bunch of hobbying. This is Aline the Bold from Artistan Guild and like Elena from last week, I shouldn't like this fig either but I can't help myself. Any fighter gal rockin' a biker attitude is good in my book even if it's unfortunate that her armor doesn't cover her vitals. Also: two swords, and yes I'm aware that the sword that's out isn't touching the ground. She didn't glue properly, OK?

Some of the basecoat was done with the airbrush and ended up being pretty messy. I'm not good with my airbrush but I am getting better and we should see more of that kind of thing later this year. Going into this paint job I had three goals. First, crank out a high quality piece. Second, do a better job with her face which sucked because part of it is obscured. Third, I knew her boots would be black and I really wanted them to not suck.

I don't think the majority of the blends are particularly good despite spending a lot of time on them. I also ended my paint job a few hours early. I was near the end of my session and getting really tired with the corresponding increase in mistakes. Then I dumped part of my brush cleaner all over my wet palette. I figured the universe was trying to tell me something. It's not subtle sometimes. The end result is that there are a bunch of details I didn't clean up like the patchyness of her shirt and some of the crap around the goddamn spikes on her armor. I also didn't do much shading/highlighting on the metallics. I could have filled the 3d printing ridges if I really wanted to, but I didn't.

Overall, I'm happy with this work but know that there's at least a few productive hours I could have put in to make her better. All told we're over fifteen hours or so over several days and these shots should be better than the average garbage here. For anyone taking photographs with anything more complicated than their phone: camera's are stupidly hard to use if you're not trained in this stuff (I'm not) so take the time to figure out how to make them go.

2022 finished mini counter: 7/100, high quality 1/10


No comments: