2024/01/07

A thing a week 2024, week 1

New year, new challenge, and the easiest numbering I'll ever do. 

We kick off the festivities with a Profane Altar and Books from bones 4. It's not something I would have likely purchased directly but it's a fun set of props for the table. I didn't spend a super long time on the altar part--it's pretty clearly a wash + drybrush cycle but the books took longer than might be obvious. The books are free floating and since they weren't big enough to stick a magnet to, I had to be super careful painting each side separately. I think it's a good result given the investment and since it counted as one number in the bones 4 campaign, it counts as one for our purposes here. 

Next up we have Balzador, Cleric from Bones 5 and Aravir, Elf Ranger from Bones 4. I'm pretty sure I have a pair of Balzador's twins one or both of which in metal so don't be surprised if his dopplegangers shows up again. These guys aren't super-detailed and Aravir in particular had a really soft mold so I had to work harder than I really wanted to. The green is played by contrast paint with layers of an ancient Reaper pot of forest green and Golden So Flat green highlight and as much as I like painting in green, you'd think I'd do it more. The metallics are pretty uninteresting by contrast. Probably they both could have used more work but I'm not unhappy with the result. 

This chonky dude is Khanag the Slayer from bones 4. He came in about a million piece (so, like four) and I dumbly, lazily glued him all together before priming. Well, that was dumb. He's so chonky with all of his negative space that I super struggled to get paint everywhere I wanted it. I also didn't study the fig well enough to start so he ended up less well color balanced than I'd like. The blue on his faulds doesn't super sell since it's patchy and doesn't match the tone of his cloak and I didn't have another place to put blue on him. I like the contrast between the orangey leathers and the blue but you can tell that I didn't spend a ton of time on those leathers. Not 100% sure why he's got all the chains going on but I'm not about to ask him.  

Last up we have Bryn, Half Elf Rogue and Estra, Iconic Spiritualist
 both from bones 4 and I did not realize these shots were so blown out prior to really looking at these shots. Bryn, like Aravir had some really soft sculpting so her sleeves and oversized bag aren't as nice as they could have been. I went back and forth with her color scheme before landingon the one shown here. I knew I wanted very saturated colors but waffled more than usual this time around. Also, WTF is going on with her outfit? That looks super uncomfortable. Why do her pants lace up the long way in two places? Fantasy artists, jeez. Estra has some awful mold lines super visible on her hands in person. I like this sculpt since it's not super busy and texturing made my brand new Army Painter Speed paints 2.0 work super well. As an added bonus, they all seem to be extra flat which is way better than the shiny finish I often get out of contrast paints. I left the patchiness of the basecoat on her robe because I liked the look of it. I like to pretend that this shows a character who's been actively adventuring, I dunno, in a dungeon or something rather than the glamor photo paintjobs that we usually see. 

2024 finished mini counter: 6/208

No comments: