2024/01/14

A thing a week 2024, week 2

This week we have a continuation of what we had last week, namely me trying to finish up stuff on my workbench while also making progress on some categories I'm trying to complete.

First up we have Arjan, Dragonborn Fighter and Heskan, Dragonborn Wizard from the Castle Ravenloft board game and Wrath of Ashardalon board game respectively. These are not fantastic sculpts and the molding on these two in particular is awful. Arjan's right leg has this massive hole in it that I didn't think I could fill effectively and both of them have ridiculously bad mold lines that I did very little with. I did some highlighting on their scale-tones (or whatever) and I extra regretted picking out the lightning patterns on Heskan's robes. These were my first figs painted with Army Painter Speed Paint 2.0. Arjan's...er...jerkin? is painted solely with them and so far, I really, really like them. 

Next up from Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 we have female dragonkin warlock and male dragonkin warrior. Between the two, she is way nicer of a sculpt and sans my inability to deal with her mold lines sanely might have been this year's first high quality paint job. I super like the contrast between her cloak, her robe, and her scale-tones. He is...derpy, I mean, pretty obviously. I have no idea what the sculptor was thinking, especially since most of the rest of the blacklist sculpts have been comparatively good. His derpiness didn't prevent me from doing a lot of highlighting work though I'm not 100% sure I got the intended scale tones vs. armor bits correct.

Last up, also from Blacklist Fantasy Series 1 we have demonkin assassin and demonkin sorcerer. I like these sculpts, too, and again we have a situation where we might have had high quality paint jobs had I dealt more sanely with their mold lines. Also of note, I don't have a lot of use for demonkin in my games so I have no idea if/when they'll ever get screen time. I didn't spend a lot of time highlighting the purples and though they look shoddy here, they look slightly less shoddy in person same as the skintones. The dark leather bits is mostly played by Speed Paint 2.0 with some minor edge highlighting. My one week retro on these is that they're really good.

2024 finished mini counter: 12/208

No comments: