2024/01/21

A thing a week 2024, week 3

This week we have only the former: stuff on my painting desk that I'm trying to finish without being a part of a category I'm trying to close out. This is an artifact of how I record things (usually by year or kickstarter) and not at all interesting. These figs are mostly in the big bucket of "misc" which is everything else, and not a category that gets finished probably ever.

First up we have Vistra Dwarf Fighter from the Wrath of Ashardalon boardgame and Alaeros, Northland Fighter from the Temple of Elemental Evil boardgame. These are not good sculpts. Vistra is gigantic for a dwarf and being as hunched over as she is, she's got a lot of negative space. The texturing on her cloak is nice but the stuff on her armor is really overkill, especially compared to the other figs in that set. Last, there was no way to sanely deal with the mold lines given the texturing. All of the detail mean that despite cutting about a million corners, she still took like three hours to paint. Bleh. For Alaeros, I hate that his axe is bendy. I hate that he has so many stinking straps. I hate all the fur even though I spent what feels like too much time on it. Sometimes during the painting of these kinds of figures, I question my judgement when prepping them. 

Next up we have from the Legend of Drizzt boardgame the titular Drizzt, some notable character or other Jarlaxle, and love interest Catti-brie. Given that I read all these books when I was young, I should probably remember but I don't and I can't be bothered to look them up. These are OK sculpts with very poor molding like most of the other figs in the cycle of boardgames and as such I (clearly) didn't spend a lot of time with them. It's also curious that they're so all over the board in their style. It looks like Drizzt and Jarlaxle were done by the same people or at least people with similar styles. Catti-brie looks like she came from another set entirely. I can only guess at why this is. 

Last up we have Half-Elf Warlock - Jilsa Rennwin from DnD is a Woman and looking at that page, it seems I screwed up. I should have printed her at 32mm like a lot of the other 3d prints and and increasingly large proportion of my collection. Instead I printed her at 25mm like a dumb. That made painting her a lot harder than it needed to be especially in her face and gambeson which I spent a lot of time on. 

2024 finished mini counter: 18/208

No comments: