2024/08/18

Propapalooza, week 4 (2024 week 33)

We continue the theme with "stuff I haven't posted yet from my first photo shoot." Srsly. There are a lot of these and I've had a rough time grouping them.These would be sci-fi kinds of props.

First up we have a Stargate-lookin' kind of portal. It's mainly airbrushed in metallics (zenithal, naturally) with the special effects played by a couple layers of contrast paint over the top. I tried to do some highlights of the swirly effects but it generally looked pretty crappy and I wasn't interested in spending the time to make it not suck. It's all covered with a wash of thinned down Badger Engine Discharge which I'm trying to use more so I don't have to keep paying the James Workshop (TM) tax on Nuln Oil. 

These two Christmas-y dudes I interpreted as holograms of some sort. Rather than do The Force-ghost-y thing, I gave them the Wildstar Caretaker treatment. I did a very heavy white drybrush prior to the coat of contrast paint. I did some minimal picking out of highlights but IMO it didn't work out super well. Probably what I needed was highlight undercoat in white then fluorescent then midtone but I didn't do that. The metallics were washed with the same Engine Discharge wash. They're OK.

 

Next up we have assorted office chairs. For reasons I don't fully understand, they were in like four parts per chair. They look big in these shots, but they really aren't and they like to gather up in weird orientations because of the magnets they're glued to. I did almost nothing beyond drybrushing, basecoating, and washing these which shows. 

These two are (hopefully obviously) piles of eggs. Maybe they're alien eggs. Maybe they're lizard eggs. I dunno, but they're not normal and that's wot's wot. They were deceptively difficult to paint. The green bits got multiple coats of speed paints and highlights and the eggshells got multiple layers of mostly-transparent eggshell paint and highlights. It was super hard to cover errors in the very dark, very saturated green bits on the egg bits. These are the opposite of what I like: low drama, high effort.
 

Last up we have a pair of concrete barriers. As many of these as show up in my games, I was surprised that prior to these I had none. I'm helped by the fact that my Sci-Fi games tend to happen online. I did quite a lot of work weathering and shading these but otherwise they're a wash over a drybrush as one might expect. IMO these look good even though there wasn't a ton of effort put into them. If I had a FDM printer (and I might get one) this is the kind of thing that I'd print a lot more of.

2024 finished mini counter: 192/208

No comments: