2022/04/24

A thing a week 2022, week 17

Continuing the not-theme of the last few weeks, we start out with a 3d printed Tabaxi Bandit from Vae Victis Miniatures. I like this sculpt and I had grand plans to paint it as one of my favorite kitty NPCs (I kid--all my kitty NPCs are my favorite) with a dagger in his left hand to match the art and an empty right hand. That all fell apart when I printed him and the print failed! His left arm was pretty hopelessly pancaked so I painted a different, much less dynamic fig which you can see way back in week 24 of last year. He's sat on my workbench in a sad state until recently when I was doing some prep work and bodged a completely different arm on him. On top of looking dumb, that knife is decidedly not menacing and his left hand is gloved! You'd think he'd get better mileage out of just clawing things. Homemade washes are doing the majority of the work on this fig and ultimately, he's painted and that's what matters.

This is Seelah, Iconic Paladin from Reaper Bones not to be confused with the Seelah-lookalikes from Week 42 of last year. This is a good sculpt let down terribly by the Bones bendy white plastic. I did not spend enough time dealing with mold lines and I drilled a hole in her cloak which I mostly patched. Given that most of her gear is metal, I did the smart thing this time: I zenithaled and umbraled in metallics with the airbrush. That meant that the rest of her was a lot easier. Done in around three hours, I think this is a good result despite the fact that I really should have re-based her. 

Rathan Kranzhel is another Reaper Bones figure and now that I've painted it, I kind of don't like the fig. Also being of Bones plastic, his sword is extremely bent and the mold lines were a real pain in the butt. I hate that his shield is up in front of his face which, while a more proper way to use a shield, made his face really hard to paint. I also didn't realize just how shiny his tabard? skirt? was until I was reviewing the pictures. Pro-tip: when buying Golden Hi-Flow Acrylics, check to see how glossy they are. This isn't my best work (clearly) and I don't think that anything is particularly good about this paint job beyond the fact that he's painted (in about four hours). 


Last up we have Elf Ranger Duelist, Aletheia from Bones 4. She's been prepped up on my workbench for quite a long time and if I'm honest, this isn't the kind of fig I like. The sculpt is really complex with a lot of bejangles and other doodads all over her getup. Like I saidtyped at some point, things that sit on my workbench long enough get whatever paints I can use productively as I wrap up. I had the thought at one point of working on her as one of the high quality figs but quickly talked myself out of it--too detailed. Ultimately I got paint on her when I could and eventually (recently) decided to carry her over the finish line. Her face in particular got a lot of time and while I couldn't really tell you how much time I spent on this fig, I'd guesstimate it's around the five or six hour mark. 

2022 finished mini counter: 76/100







No comments: