2022/05/22

Kitty-a-thon week 2 (2022 week 21)

This week we complete our miniature mini-theme of kitties! I might have a problem.

First up we have a trio of cat rogue 3d prints. These guys have shown up a lot: a pair of them in week 50 2020 and one in week 24 of 2021 who got a lot of screen time in my Saturday game which is in its last few sessions as this goes up unless it's already complete. These are fun. On top of being free models which drives my cost per print down (yes, I include hardware), it's fun to compare paint jobs spanning multiple years. Some day I might even do a side-by-side and I would super expect to get more of these guys next year, possibly in a slightly larger form, to boot!

Next up we have another Skivvara from Twin Goddess Miniatures and the originator of the Black Cat Challenge (TM) from 2021 week 32. At one point I was going to paint her white but forgot about all of that that and ended up painting her tawny like many of the other kitties in the batch. I mean, it's right there on the palette. This fig went through some mess and at one point I snapped her off the base at the ankle so there's a lot of badness there. Her hand holding the bow also broke off a couple times which is plainly obvious if you look at the attachment. These things happen.

Last up we have a pair of Cat Captains from Vae Victis Miniatures who make some of my favorite figs, like this one! On the dark fig, I probably should have pushed the ochre details to a higher highlight; probably a yellow. I think it still works and the desaturation of both the greens and the reds seem to have effectively prevented the dreaded "Christmas Colors" issue. These figs have a great mix of volumes and details and this dark kitty will count as a high quality paint job.

On the other kitty, I probably should have desaturated the orange and punched up the dark spotches. She's supposed to be calico, "Captain Calico" as it were, but it really just looks like I wasn't looking where I put my paint. Possibly additional markings could have sold it better Could there be a Calico Challenge(TM) next year? Mayhaps, yea. I think the desaturated blue of her coat works well with the saturated purple of her corset. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this paint job.  


Last up we have a Reaper Bones Avatar of Sekhmet. This kitty saw a lot of screen time in the first campaign I ran in 2016 and I'm glad to have completed painting her. I can't claim this is a good paint job because it isn't. I also wasn't able to fix her bendy staff and I didn't do nearly enough shading on the many, many metallics. I do feel I improved on Week 16's Anubis Guard's tinted metallics (Pro Acryl Light Bronze + Badger Ghost Tints, if you're keeping score) so that's cool. Done in a couple hours, I'm not unhappy with this paint job.

2022 finished mini counter: 88/100, 7/10 high quality

No comments: