2019/03/19

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 19: speed build


I like the 3D-ness of built timbers but I like the speed and expressiveness of drawing texturing with a pen.  I don't much like having to use PVA to glue walls and I haven't yet gotten precision enough cuts/gluing to not look bad.  The question is:  why not both?

This is a modular second floor usable for just about any of the similarly sized half-timbered buildings like the one on day 15.  If you've been following along with my other builds then you pretty much know what happened here.  Mixing the two techniques looks like a best of both worlds situation.  I didn't use terribly many timbers here but still got to hide my terrible gluing gaps and didn't have to wait forever for things to dry except the hated, hated shingles.  The entire thing (shingles and all) was slapped together and painted in under four hours and that included milling a bunch of shingles because somehow I'd run out.

In other news, I finally bought some proper matte medium and flow medium and made a proper wash.  I forgot to buy a proper black ink so I used the far more expensive Vallejo ink.  I've talked about this before and I have to say, it makes a pretty big difference.  I ended up with something that behaves quite a lot like Nuln Oil.  This is encouraging because the ink I did buy was an umber for something that I hope works a lot like Agrax Earthhade.  Even using matte medium in the previous wash made it more viable. 

I'm not sure how much faster these can get without significantly changing something up.  Rough maths (sorry) imply that moving from 0.5"x0.75" to 0.75"x1" shingles would have the number required and they probably wouldn't need to be quite as thin and just might stay inside the bin.  BMC's live edge roof planking would certainly be faster, too, though I like the look a lot less.  Next time, maybe.

No comments: