2019/03/21

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 21

At this point I've built a bunch of buildings and mostly sated my need for them.  Also, storage is starting to be an issue.  Glam shot today has too small a background because I had to cut up the big piece of Readi-board for the roof.  I'll get more soon. 

I've done a lot to speed up my building in the last N builds which means that spending more time should result in higher quality.  I liked the tavern build way back on day 5 (that was more than two weeks ago!) and kind of want a few buildings with overhangs like that to build a nice street scene.

You folks know the drill by now.  These are hot glued with a mix of built timbers and drawn timbers and drawn stonework.  I think the stonework is starting to look good, probably because I've drawn so many of these.  While I dislike how long it takes, I think the result is good and beats the crap out of the other ideas I had to get the same effect.

The roof is the normal foamcore.  I raised it more than I wanted; I was aiming for a 90 degree peak but didn't do the math and it's slightly less.  I also switched to 3/4" width shingles as an experiment but I don't think I like them--they seem way too big.  I remembered the chimney, too, so there's that.

This time around I put the pillars with the top and drove a toothpick through it for strength.  This pokes into the top and through the length of the pillar so we'll see how well that works.  I think I already don't like this because its location isn't clear when the roof comes off so anyone trying to hide behind is imprecise at best.

Total build time including the priming is right around five hours and I think it's a good result.  I expect painting to be fewer than four hours which should happen tomorrow.

No comments: