2019/03/30

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 30: Bugman's Brewery

And on the last day we have something extra fun.  When I started building stuff, I asked the eponymous Shoe what I could build for him.  He gave me a grainy photo of a wargaming table with a big building in the middle.  Apparently Bugman's Brewery is a fun piece of Warhammer lore but since I don't play that game I don't really have the details.  An intertoobs search got me this stuff.  Using the photographic evidence I've found online as a starting point, here's my take on this particular piece of lore.

The first and most difficult thing is its size.  It's the biggest structure I've built and defied easy handling in a bunch of ways.  Three things made this easier.  First, Shoe's going to handle the painting which is just as well because he's a much better painter.  Second, it doesn't need an interior playable space so I guess that's also a first for one of my buildings.  Third, I don't need to base it--it's just the building.  I'm sure Shoe will base it which again is just as well because he's going to do a much better job than I will.

As this is the last day of the challenge and it's a gift, I wanted to punch up the detail a bit but I had other obligations today.  I normally pop out windows out because I have this delusion that I'm going to use my cool Dollar Tree tea lights to light these guys.  In this case there's no reason to so instead of popping them out, I built some of them up. 

There are six windows on the bottom floor so I made those simple--they're shuddered.  This gave some really fun visual interest and I imagine that some of them have been replaced over time because Bugman's is a rowdy joint.  The ones upstairs I wanted to something really fun with and since there are only two of them, I pushed them out as bay windows.  I didn't glue the mesh pieces in (not shown) to aid in the painting.  Same with the door.

I'm not sure it comes out in the photos, but the building is a T-shape with a thing hanging off of one side in the back. I imagine this as a pretty normal building with a smokehouse tacked on out back.  The smokehouse is almost like my shacks from day 20 except sturdier and attached to the building. 

Since I suspect Shoe won't be around to pick this guy up any time soon, I may tinker with it more over the next couple days at a more leisurely pace.  It should be pretty cool when it's painted.  This ends Shoe's 30 for 30 challenge and I think it's gone well.  I'll do a wrap up tomorrow.

No comments: