2019/03/02

Shoe's 30 in 30, day 2

His eyes are a mess.
Day 2 was "paint some miniatures day".  We'll get a bonus at the end for fun and no profit.  The dude on the right is a Dwarven Berserker from Mage Knight Rebellion.  For those who don't know what Mage Knight is, it was the first of the click base collectible mini wargames.  I bought a ton of those circa 2000-2002 and had the brilliant idea I'd practice painting on them.

This particular fig was stripped sometime last year with acetone--just about the only thing that'll get the gloopy paint offa these guys.  That comes with an asterisk or something because acetone is almost as eager to eat the plastic the figs are made from.  About 1 in 4 of the figs I attempted to strip were destroyed and even then the ones that remain tend to have softer details.  Having now painted a few of these I'm still impressed at how much detail never showed through the factory paint disaster even after being abused so badly.

The yellow crests work better in person.
These red dudes are a trio of hunting drakes from The Legend of Drizzt board game.  I've bought all of the D&D boardgames for the minis which is good because the games that came with them aren't great.  I don't actually know what a hunting drake is but they look blind and presumably live somewhere in the Underdark.  I'll use them for a nefarious purpose some day, don't you worry!  In retrospect, I should have airbrushed them instead of painting them the hard way.

All of these got the standard treatment:  primer + zenithal + wash + drybrush + glazes + details.  I think they turned out OK.  Overall time including prep steps is under 4 hours, granted, these guys didn't have a lot going on.  In other news, I need to set up a photography station so y'all don't have to see my disaster of a crafting station now inhabited by waylay glitter from yesterday.
This guy's already terrorized my players.

As an added vector to the 30 for 30 stuff here, I'm hoping to finish 100 minis this year.  I'm helped by having already done some (maybe 8?) in January and the two documented + an airbrush special last month (the otyugh pictured on the right from the Wrath of Ashardalon board game).  This should help me keep count, tho, so that's nice.  I'd also like to take at least a couple to a higher standard than normal tabletop which will likely show up here.

2019 finished mini counter:  7/100


No comments: