2019/03/24

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 24: tavern #2

Today completes the second tavern in all of its complexity.  It's a serious build with a serious roof which took a serious amount of effort.  I learned a bunch of stuff here and I even did some maths.  Terrifying.

In very basic terms, this is a modular roof.  I built one of these on day 15 though it feels like months ago.  Complicating this one is that it's much larger (twice the size, actually) which means that large pieces of foam bend and warp and generally don't behave.  I did a bunch of measurements and scale drawings because I didn't think I could wing it.  I'd find out that I was correct so I got that going for me. 

This is a story about complications.  Most of those stem from doing things on autopilot which didn't work and mis-transcribing some of my measurements and making a bunch of really bad cuts.  I though "wow, there should be an overhang on the roof!"  Except I forgot that this one had pitches on all sides.  Then I fiddled with the side pieces and realized they didn't fit once I had the wall standins glued in (the pieces that hold onto the base).  Some shaving and whittling later, I had side pieces that almost fit but that I bodged together enough to glue.  It all got covered with shingles anyway.

Another thing that I should have put more thought into are the window...thingies...damnit...dormersI had a sensible plan to start:  two facing the road.  I was pretty sure the placement was good due to planning.  When I started building this morning I thought, "heck, why not build two on the other side too?  How hard could it be?"  Yeah. 

One thing that didn't go badly was the structure of the thing.  I did a lot of measuring and fitting to ensure that it wouldn't warp badly when being glued.  I also got the pitch of the roof right (45 degrees) which made a lot of stuff easier.  There's a good deal of reinforcing and that kind of thing and the result is a solid piece in as much as any building made out of foam ever is.  I also didn't forget the chimney so no one has to freeze to death. 

Shingling, as one might predict, was a freakin' nightmare.  The dormers look good at their current location but shingling between them was a real mess.  The overhangs on the dormer roofs (gabled, I believe) make this harder yet.  Shingling including the cardboard pieces ended up at four hours which is way longer than I'd expected. 

This is pretty much all I did today.  It was way more complicated than I'd anticipated and I expected a lot.  Seven hours yesterday, nine hours today, and probably two hours planning things out in paint.net puts this at eighteen prior to painting.  If we account for some of the bad missteps and refining the roof structure construction some, I could see this reducing but I don't think by much.  There's just a lot of crap that needs effort.  The result is good, though, and I think it'll look better painted.


No comments: