2019/03/07

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 7

Welp, today was an easier day since I'd been ignoring other obligations to do the big builds this week.  So today we have miniatures.  These are goblin cutters, goblin archers, and a single goblin champion all from the Legend of Drizzt board game.  These sculpts are pretty good even if they weren't really meant for painting.  Sorry about the bad photos.

I didn't do anything fancy, though I did do laundry today.  If you followed my award winning posts Adventures in Miniature Painting, I'm using the exact same procedure.  I primed and zenithaled these with the airbrush, washed, drybrushed, then glazed.  After that, they get light washes and details.  All seven of them took under 5 hours including prep which isn't as fast as I'd like but I didn't really want to rush.


"Why are they in different colors?" I hear you ask, anonymous reader.  In wargaming, most of the rank and file are meant to look similar, usually in uniforms or at least painted consistently.  For my game, it's way more important to be able to tell them apart unambiguously on the battlefield.  I don't always use monster like these as minions.  Keeping track of figs is especially difficult when characters move dynamically and are pushed around the battlefield.


If your OCD insist that they all be painted consistently for whatever reason, I'll give you two options, both of which I've used.  First, you can paint the edge of the bases themselves in different colors instead of painting them black.  Second, you can put colored art tape around their bases.  These handily come in assorted narrow widths and a variety of colors.  I use them occasionally for Legoing but they work well for this purpose too. 

2019 finished mini counter:  14/100

No comments: