2019/03/20

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 20: shacks

This is a build I've wanted to do for a while.  My current campaign takes place in a city that has a lot of these kinds of buildings.  They're pretty much what you'd expect:  a bunch of pieces of textured foam glued together in seemingly random ways.  There are a few coffee stirrer pieces in there for structure but they still ended up being kind of flimsy.

Other than looking ramshackle, I wanted these to look quite old and beat up which means "warm tones weathered in grey".  I imagine these kinds of shacks being made with whatever came to hand and not built from premium wood like oak. 

I cheated this one.  I airbrushed the base coat of 2:1 brown to yellow at a coverage of something like 40%.  I was surprised how well it already sold the weathered dirty look.  After that we're back to drybrushing craft paints, first a dark, then a light.  This punched the whole thing up a notch.  I finished with a coat of my old dark wash mixed with matte medium laid on pretty heavily.  I probably put the wash on too heavily or should have drybrushed with the lighter grey more heavily. 

I like these kinds of builds because they can eat up the random scraps I seem to always have littering my workspace.  I think the double texturing really worked for weathered and beaten planks.  This was done first with the usual a fine-toothed comb then with with the wire brush.  I started with PVA but got really unhappy with it and switched to hot glue.  While I like the look of the not-straight planks, they were a goddamn pain to prime.


Overall I think the results are good even if they are somewhat flimsy.  I'm tempted to build a few more but I'll probably wait until I've needed more than the four I've got.  I might lighten them up a bit if I try it again; they're kind of dark.  Total build time and painting, vastly aided by using the airbrush, was complete in about three hours.

No comments: