2019/03/22

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 22

Today, predictably, was a day of painting.  I also got ahead on tomorrow's build which is good because I have stuff going on tomorrow.  Painting wasn't difficult but then again it hasn't been since I started drawing timbers.

My new wash isn't as dark as the old so I didn't paint the stones as cartoony as last time.  I also toned down the drybrushing on the wood and stone for the same reason.  The flags are supposed to be sandstone or something like that but I don't think it came through.  And if you were looking for another reason to not like the posts being attached to the upper floor:  it made the front really painful to paint.

While I like the look of the antique white (or was it vanilla ice cream?) walls, I wanted to try something more bold.  I imagine this building as a merchant's shop with living quarters and extra rooms on the second floor.  It makes sense that they'd want to paint their building in an unusual color to attract attention so I went with an earthy red + off white which turned out more like a peach color.  I don't hate it but it contrasts weirdly with the dark blue roof.  I don't think it's quite as garish in person.

Overall I think this was a good build and probably the best executed paint job even with questionable color choices.  With the three-ish hours of painting the total build + paint time is around eight hours and I think it's some of my best work. 

No comments: