2019/03/25

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 25


Yep, we're painting today.  This is a lot more complicated than normal buildings because a) it's big, b) it's complicated, and c) it separates into four pieces.  I was not helped by having a splitting headache, either.

I cheated again and airbrushed the roof and two wood floor surfaces.  The roof is mixed brown and red and the floor is just brown.  I'm using my Badger Minitaire paints which are significantly more expensive but I really didn't want to deal with cleaning up after throwing craft paint through my airbrush.  I'm not sure what it is, but I really like look of the airbrush base coats over the mod podge primer.  It's also a heck of a lot faster.

I picked out individual stones in the walls in three colors and did the same two-tone base flags and pavement as usual.  The pillars return to their customary position on the pavement base.  I did quite a lot of drybrushing this time around with not quite as large differences.  The color choices on the roof in particular is fairly subtle but that's what I wanted.  The new wash went over everything but the roof.  I think it dried a little heavy on the stonework and I made a real mess of it trying to pull some of it off.

I had serious reservations about going with the light turquoise walls if I'm honest.  The idea came from photographic evidence of a similar building in the same color scheme.  I'm not sure how well the warm roof and cool walls works but I went with it anyway.  I'm kind of bored with the off-white walls.


Just like the rest of this project, painting was a serious effort.  Even with the airbrushing and generally forgiving builds (the dormers were a significant exception) it still took around six hours not including drying time.  Twenty-four-ish hours seems like a big expenditure but I think the result is good even if I did screw up the wash.  Tomorrow will probably be something less difficult.

No comments: