2019/03/07

Shoe's 30 for 30, day 6

Somewhat predictably, today was a day of painting.  I did this differently than normal because I feel like I messed up the merchant's house from day 4.  The goal for this building is one that's old, lived in, but well kept.  The timbers should be dark and the walls should be relatively clean.  I also wanted to be more bold with the coloring so the base got a cool shale green with grey pavers out front and I didn't want to cover up the slate roof with too heavy of a wash. 

I've been painting my buildings pretty much the way I paint miniatures:  from inside to outside.  I spent a lot of time cleaning up when I was painting the timbers on the merchant's house and then ruined it with an awful wash.  This was especially painful because I thought the off white I used on the plaster (?) parts looked really good prior to that.  Furthermore, I don't think there's a good way to clean up a rogue wash on a light surface so any inadvertent missteps would be super noticeable.
Stonework painted.

Thinking through the process, I thought I'd experiment with painting, dry brushing, and washing the timbers first and then paint the inside parts with their own very light wash.  Painting the timbers was easier than it'd been because of this and because they're so much thinner than previously resulting in fewer hard to reach places on the build.  Additionally, only the top floor is timbered in part because they were so hard to paint last time.  This worked out OK though the short ends of the building with all the acute angles meant using a (much) smaller brush.

As a final step, we re-add the front door and paint the strip on the roof which I imagine is made of something healthy like lead or something.  That probably isn't period accurate but I don't think the beam I often use is either.  My "research" hasn't been super good because it turns out that most photos of these kinds of buildings is done from ground level.  If anyone knows what these are supposed to look like, drop me a line with sources so a tiny bit of my OCD can rest.
Base coat and drybrushing complete.

Overall, I think this is one of the better buildings I've painted and I'm pretty happy with it.  Total paint time was 6 hours and not particularly difficult not including drying.  Total time for this building is around 14 hours and like I've mentioned before, I think the next one in this style will go a lot faster.

Will tomorrow be something simpler?  Tune in and find out!

No comments: